Friday, August 1, 2008

A Fitting Portait

Yesterday, photographs of Mary Mac were taken for an oil portrait we are having painted, similar to the ones we had done of Chase and Chandler around the same age. (My husband says he is tired of paying for portraits. But I know deep down he LOVES it.)



During the session, the photographer commented on how agreeable and compliant Mary Mac was with all of his many instructions. I believe he even used the word delightful.

What he doesn't know is that the angelic face that made his job so much easier, had thrown a monkey fit the night before that made MY JOB so much harder.

John and I had been in bed about 15 minutes when Mary Mac let us know that she really didn't want to go to sleep. We informed her that she didn't have a choice in the matter and she stomped back to her room squealing, "FINE! I'm NEVER, EVER, going to bed EVER again!"

Her petulance made me burst out laughing which just fueled the fit even more.

(As a side note, I KNOW I shouldn't have laughed. I KNOW I should be the adult. But it WAS funny.)

After further persuasive promptings, which ultimately led to good intentioned threats, Mary Mac went back to her room. We didn't hear another peep from her the rest of the night.

Early the next morning, as I was leaving to go to another session of the torture chamber, I glanced in the family room and found Mary Mac sitting STRAIGHT UP on the couch, sleeping soundly. I guess she meant it when she said she was NEVER going to bed EVER again.

I took this photograph after the photographer finished with his well behaved client. Looking at this face you would never know that she had just spent eight hours of shut-eye in the criss-cross applesauce position.

This child brings me so much joy.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

PLease put a link to my blog n yours!!!!

BARRETT

Dawn said...

By the way, it's www.barrettsplace.blogspot.com

picturesofhisgrace said...

This is Aaron's mom (from Mary Mac's class). I have to tell you that Aaron and I had a discussion concerning Mary Mac a few nights ago. Aaron was writing the first letter in the names of his classmates and telling me their names. He wrote "M" and said that's Mary Mac's name. I said yes, that's Mary Mac and I included her last name when I said her name. He quickly added that Mary Mac told him she didn't want to have that last name anymore. I just thought it was funny. From reading your blog, I can hear Mary Mac saying something like that. This age is so much fun!

Joni said...

K-
That is so funny! I'm just happy that she is referring to herself as Mary Mac. For months, she would only allow us to cal her "Marshmallow."

You gotta love the mind of a four year old!