Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Word To My Sponsor


Today marks the eighteenth year of birthdays I have celebrated with my husband. A relationship that began in a time when the spiral perm was dying its rightful death, and Whitney Houston’s song, “ I Will Always Love You”, sung by every heartsick female.

Our story originated with a lot of mishap and laughter, details I hope to one day fully chronicle when both time and courage are available. He was a sleep-deprived, overworked medical resident and I was a recent college graduate, ready for the next party and adventure. In those first few months of dating , he relied on some of my energy and I responded well to his calm. Two seemingly incompatible worlds collided, that somehow, by the infinite grace of God, began to make sense.

The mishaps, the nonsense, and the laughter, still describes our marriage today. Our life hasn’t been without difficulty or struggle, but any hardship experienced has only made our love for one another stronger. He is my best friend and I am his, an intimate existence where it is difficult to recognize where one begins and the other ends.

John, I never take one moment with you for granted or the immeasurable joy you bring. The children unabashedly adore you, look up to you, and want to be just like you. And the dog thinks you’re the best.

Long live the laughter and the joy....

Happy, happy birthday!

Joni

2 comments:

Mrs. Davison said...

That is beautiful!

acassidy said...

Aww... so sweet. We miss celebrating birthdays with both of you! Happy Birthday, John!